Thursday, April 14, 2011

THROW BACK THURSDAY

WELCOME NEW FOLLOWER, SNOWTILE.  WE ARE GLAD TO HAVE YOU FOLLOW :)

I am 1 post away from my 200th post.  I will celebrate with some mini "random.org" drawings for my FOLLOWERS the first week in May.  For one mini prize we will have a drawing for one of my follower's choice of a PRINCESS CLIPPIE from "BITS AND PIECES"  Blog.  Check out the selection at their blog - listed on the right side of my blog.  They also have added Rapunzel to the line.

With Easter coming, I have a recipe I like to make that uses the abunance of hard boiled eggs. It is a breakfast recipe that I have had over 25 years.  I am not sure where the idea /recipe came from.  (One way I remember is by thinking about which house I remember making it in.) 
One thing I like about making/serving this recipe is that it can be made ahead and kept in the fridge over night.  It works great in a breakfast buffet setting, and can be taken to a brunch.

DEVILED BREAKFAST EGGS

12 - 14 large hard boiled eggs  (This fills a 9 x 13 glass baking dish)
3 table. butter/margarine
3/8 cup flour
3 cups of milk
3 cups grated cheese = 2 cups for sauce + 1 cup for the top  (I use medium or sharp cheddar)
(Yes, just a basic cheese sauce)

Cut the hard boiled eggs in 1/2 lengthwise, as for deviled eggs. 
Remove yolks to a small(ish) bowl, and put the egg halves in a sprayed 9 x 13 baking dish.

Make the cheese sauce
Melt the butter in a pan.
Whisk in the flour, whisking until it is smooth.
Add the milk and continue whisking on a lower heat setting until the white sauce is smooth and thickened.
Stir in 2 cups of grated cheese and stir until melted (and smooth).

Stir about 1 cup of cheese sauce into your SMASHED egg yolks, and spoon back into the egg whites. 
Cover the eggs with the rest of the cheese sauce, and then sprinkle the last cup of cheese over the top.

Bake at 350* for 20 mins. or until hot and the cheese is bubbly.  Serve hot.

These are served hot from the dish, BUT they are also great served on a piece of toast.  Or with asparagus or sliced/diced avocados on the side.
For the last couple of mins. of baking time you can sprinkle them with chopped, cooked bacon pieces.
(We had left overs after dinner the other night and have been reheating single servings in the microwave.)

1 comment:

Lindsay Quinney said...

It was very good. You expect deviled eggs but then its not. Very good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...