Friday, February 25, 2011

THROW BACK THURSADY RECIPE...

... that I am posting on Friday because I am making it for our Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet.

I have had this recipe (from Mary J.) since the early 80's.  It used to be the main cake I made.  It is fast, easy and good, and I always have everything I need.  I do a lot more cakes now, but this is the ONLY chocolate frosting I use.  It is basic, but always gets great reviews.

CRAZY (CHOCOLATE) CAKE
from Mary J.

BATTER - mix on low speed, then on high about 2 mins.
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 teas. soda
2 teas. salt
2teas. vanilla
2 table. vinegar
3/4 cup veg. oil
2 cups cold water

Pour into sprayed 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350* for 35-40 mins.
(Or use large rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 min.  I use 9x13.)
Let cool before frosting.

FROSTING (This may be a common/standard recipe.  If so, it is because it works.) 
Mix well
2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup softened butter (margarine will work)
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 tea. vanilla
2 table. milk

This is an easy go to cake to take.  (I grated dark chocolate truffles over the top.)

(I was going to link up to my favourite (and very fast easy) go to recipe, but I found out I have not posted it, yet.  HOW CAN THAT BE?  (That is sooo weird.  When I make it for a kidult to take somewhere there are always requests for the recipe, so I cannot believe it has not been posted.  Sorry.)
I will post it soon for a THROW BACK THURSDAY recipe.

3 comments:

Emily said...

It is the BEST frosting!

Lizzy Smith said...

I made this cake and brought it to a family gathering and it was a hit! It was so good. I don't usually like cake but this one was so moist and yummy! Thanks for the recipe I have already passed it on to a friend.

michelle's 10 things said...

Thank-you for your comment, LizAnn. I am glad that you liked it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...