Thursday, February 17, 2011

A THROW BACK DESSERT RECIPE

Valentine's Day (week-end) was rather simple this year.  (How big can it be when there is still some Christmas up?  Hopefully I can lift soon.)
For dessert I made an updated strawberry cheesecake type dessert.

STRAWBERRY PRETZEL CHEESECAKE PIE  (could not think of a different name)

CRUST
1 cup chunky crushed pretzels  (see note)
3 table. brown sugar
5 table. melted butter

Mix together and press into the bottom of a 9" pie dish.  Bake for 10 mins. at 350*.

FILLING

1 8 oz. pack softened cream cheese (I used light)
1/2 cup sugar
4 oz. (1/2 of 8 oz.) softened whipped topping (we used to use "Dream Whip" and milk ;0)

Mix cream cheese and sugar, then fold in whipped topping.  Spread on cooled crust and chill.

TOPPING

1 large pack strawberry/raspberry Jello  (I used to use Danish Dessert)
1 bag (10-16 oz.) frozen sliced strawberries/raspberries

Disolve Jello in 2 cups boiling water.  Add 1 cup cold water.  Stir in frozen fruit until it defrosts, sorta. 
Carefully ladle Jello mix over chilled cream cheese layer.  (You may a bit extra.  Just chill it in a bowl.)

Chill until set.  This is best eaten on the day it is made.  Still good day 2.  Soggy crust by day 3.

note  I did my pretzels in my blender.   I had tried my bullet like chopper for my pretzels and it pulverized the bottom layer and left the top ones whole.

This is an easy dessert, and I had everything on hand.





I have been building a "Basket of my Favourite Things" to share with a follower when there are 60 followers.

I am 6 followers away from "random.org"ing a winner of a basket of "My Favourite Things". (Remember, I only send the contents. The basket is too hard to mail.)


What's in the basket?

#1 A fun, boy themed, mini table photo album, with all the embellishments. (I love making these.)
#2 1/8" (36 piece) steel alphabet stamping set.

#3 A "Magic Eraser". (Man I love these. I hate yucky ones, so I cut some into 6-8 small pieces and put them in a plastic container. When I have a small job, I can just use a small piece.)

#4 A "McCormicK Cinnamon Grinder" (I love the burst of freshly ground cinnamon on french toast, pie, pumpkin milk shakes, oatmeal...)

#5 "Ice Cream!", the cookbook, by Cuthbert and Cameron Wilson (recipes and ideas for the smaller freezers)

3 comments:

Lindsay Quinney said...

It was such good cheesecake. It was so creamy. I want to go buy everything to make it soon.

sbdunn said...

I'm just so sad that Blake doesn't like strawberries. Maybe I'll wait until the next ward potluck . . .

Emily said...

You could use raspberries.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...