Wednesday, April 21, 2010

BITS & PIECES + something for the basket?

WELCOME NEW FOLLOWERS ROBERT AND MARCY!!! Thank-you for following.

I am the oldest of 10 children. Each year I make birthday cards in January (It took me until February.:( that are family related. Most years I use a picture of an ancestor on or in the card.
This year I decided to do a "Pedigree Chart (family tree) Magnet" card. I wanted all of my siblings name on the chart, so Leslie typed and printed them for me. (I really wish I had included birthdays after the names.) I reduced the pedigree chart so that 4 would fit on 8 1/2 x 11 , and made my copies on paper weight.

I had each sheet (uncut) hard laminated. ($1.oo at the copy shop I go to.) Then I cut them apart. Each card is 5 1/2 x 4 1/8.

Now for a couple of my favourite things.

#1 I love free magnets. I pick them up anywhere I can. (Taking someone to the Dr....again? Get one of their calenders. Get them from your phone book before recycling it. Check at resturants... I save mine in a page protector that is "stuck" to a file cabinet in my storage room.) I use all my free magnets to support my use of appliances as billboards;) I put free magnets on the back of scrapbook quotes, photos, ... and family pedigree charts. Or you can buy magnet sheets or disc magnets.

#2 Scor-tape - This is a really strong double sided adhesive. It does a super job attaching my magnets, as well as embellishments, etc. I buy it at Heartland Paper in Taylorsville, UT., but I have also found it sold on line. The official name is "SOOKWANG" and it is made in Korea. I like to buy the 1/2 inch width. (about $7.oo) because I can tear it into 1/4 inch width as I use it, basically getting a double roll. :^)

#3 I love that they are all made at one time and ready to go.

I added a tree brad, andmade a simple library card type pocket to put it in. I used a light weight ribbon and they are all ready to be mailed in the appropriate month. I put 2 stamps on the envelope. (Of course I add a note:)

An easy, but practical and personalized project.

I have picked up an extra set of "SCRABBLE" letters that I was thinking about putting in "MY FAVOURITE'S GIVE-AWAY BASKET", but a couple of kidults thought that was weird. I use them. ALOT. Comment and let me know if this is something YOU would use. (I will post ideas and pictures if you want me to put them in the basket.)

When I have 43 followers, I will "Random.org" a winner of the contents of a basket of my favourite things. I have a couple of things I will be adding this week.
This post is visiting @
http://thethriftyhome.blogspot.com
...and I enjoy the parties they host :) THANK-YOU.
On Thursday this post went to parties hosted by
Thank-you for inviting us.

8 comments:

Greg Rouse said...

I Love Scrabble Letters!!!!!! There are so many cute things you can do with them. I have letter racks on a shelf by my front door that says "Remember Who U R" I would have spelt it all out but it got kinda long.
So yes, add them to the basket!

Helena said...

Oh, what a cute card idea!

Thank you for linking this to A Little Creative Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

Beansieleigh said...

Love your idea for a family tree-birthday chart!!.. and I LOVE anything done in gingham, so I love it even more! Cute AND helpful! Thanks! ~tina

Jessica @ Me and My Bucket said...

So smart to re-purpose magnets like that!! You are a genius!!! Every time I go to D.I. I look for a scrabble game, but I've never been able to find one. Thanks for joining my party!!

Thanks!!
Jessica
meandmybucket.blogspot.com

Stories by Me! said...

I love the idea of creating birthday cards using the family tree. You've inspired me! I'll be featuring your idea in the near future on my blog storiesbymeblog.blogspot.com

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Great ideas! Love them all!

I ALSO LOVE scrabble tiles!

ayley said...

i love scrabble tiles. my GOODNESS!

Room to Inspire said...

What great ideas! The family tree card is very cute. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired last week.

Chelsea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...