Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bits & Pieces - A TIMELY NECKLACE

A Timely Necklace
This is not my idea, but I knew I would make it. I saw it in the March 2010 Country Living magazine.

For my first one I checked in my scrapbook supplies. Then I visited thrift stores looking for patterns of clock hands that I liked. Some thrift stores charge up to $14.99 for a clock that may/may not work. hmmm The most I paid was $3.oo, but D.I.s had lots of choices in the $2-4.oo range. (I have only made a few, but have collected about (gulp) 50 hands. Why do we do that? If a few is good, then lots are better?)

Start with 2 clock hands that you like. My favourites are art deco clock hands. I had fun taking the clocks apart. If the colour is wrong, they can easily be spray painted. Fold some masking tape (easy to remove) on itself and tape the front side of the hand to paint stirring stick or piece of cardboard. Easy to spray without it blowing from the paint pressure. After completely dry, turn over to paint the front side. I like my 2 hands to have different colours so that there is contrast and the hand patterns can be seen.

Attach the two (or more?) hands with a jump ring, and thread your chain or ribbon thru the jump ring.
I have linked this project to A Little Tipsy's "DIY Under $5.00" party.  Thank-you for hosting.  http://www.alittletipsy.com/2011/03/diy-under-5-easter-printables.html
 

10 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What an awesome idea...luv it! Hope you have a FUN week:)

Blessings,
Linda

I’m having a GIVEAWAY…come by and check it out…I think you will like it!

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I would definitely wear it, but it, covet it. :)
Pamela

Amy said...

that is super unique! so glad to have you at "Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays" thanks for linking up, hope to see you soon!!

Helena said...

Ooh, this is a great idea. I am gonna start looking for clock hands when I'm out and about...

Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Michelle! What a great idea! I always LOVE new ideas for jewelry, when I see them, and this is really CUTE! Nice to meet you today! ~tina

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

very pretty! I love it! Great job! : )

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

That is so unique and pretty! I'll never look at a clock the same way again!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day! Have a great weekend!

TheVirginiaHouse said...

That is so cute. I get in such a habit of puting on a necklace and wearing it night and day for the next 10 weeks. I think I might be different if I had a little beauty like this;-) Thanks for linking up to The Virginia House!

teamsalles said...

I love it! Now I'll have a new item to hunt for when I make my thursday rounds to the thrift stores!! I'm following your blog... I hope I win your prize when you hit 43! I also am giving away a prize when my blog hits 50. Stop by if you get a chance... www.repurposingonpurpose.blogspot.com
Thanks,
Marcie

Haverford House said...

I love this ~ how "timely"! I'm a new follower! ~Marcy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...