Friday, March 5, 2010

Graham Cracker Stuesel Breakfast Cake and Omelet Bar

This is my last (official) recipe from "start with a cake mix". Because there are a T O N of very good recipes that start with a cake mix, I will post more periodically.
This breakfast cake is easy and popular at our house. Now, lest you think we eat a lot of breakfast cake, we don't. Our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ) has a general conference twice a year. In Utah, we can watch most of it at home, and I plan and work to make it worthwhile. Our big family omelet brunch is 12:30 on Sunday.
I learned how to make omelets/omelet bar after I went with Doug on a business trip to Las Vegas. I prepare most of my omelet fillings on Saturday. Some things we use are red peppers, green and purple onions, black beans, zucchini and asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocados, olives, several cheeses, diced ham... (We also serve salsa, sour cream, and tortillas on the side.) Each person puts what they want on their omelet on a plate-and brings it to me. I cook them all using 3 small skillets with lids.
Here's what I do. In the skillet I put about 1-2 tea. butter and toss in all omelet fillings EXCEPT CHEESE. I stir fry to soften and, in a cup break 2 eggs. I add about 2 table. WATER. (I found that water blends the eggs. Milk caused them to be watery?) I grind a bit of pepper and salt and wisk with a fork. (I make each one separately.) Now I turn down the heat in my pan(s) and pour in my eggs. I cover with a lid and cook on low for several mins., then I loosen the edges and move uncooked eggs on top to the bottom of the pan by tilting the pan. I cover and cook a few more mins until top is set. Then I add cheese and cover until the cheese is melted. It will slide right out onto the plate. Yea, it takes awhile. That's why we have breakfast cake.
a note- These are not "light fluffy whip the egg whites" omelets. These are easy (not too fast). get several servings of veggies omelets. Everyone loves them because they designed them.

Graham Cracker Stuesel Breakfast Cake
from Better Homes and Gardens September 1992


Cake

1 yellow cake mix
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
1 cup water

Streusel

1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (see note)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (opt.)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teas. cinnamon
1/2 cup melted margarine

frosting

1 cup powdered sugar
1 teas. vanilla
enough water to drizzle

Mix cake mix, oil, water and eggs and beat on med. about 2 mins.

In another bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and melted margarine/butter. Mix with fork just until mixed.

In a sprayed 9 x 13 cake pan, layer 1/2 the cake mix. Sprinkle with 1/2 the streusel mix. Spread the rest of the cake mix, (you already know) and sprinkle the rest of the streusel over the top.

Cook at 350* for 35-40 mins. Cool and drizzle with mixed icing. (Leslie usually makes this one and Lindsay makes the lemon blueberry one. ) We also serve juice, milk, sausage and hot chocolate if it is cold.

NOTE- I will post a few more recipes that use graham cracker crumbs at another time. I prefere to buy graham cracker crumbs. I usually buy them on sale and they are quite reasonably priced. The work is done for me, so I don't have to wash my blender/food processer. AND, I never go to get graham crackers and find that someone has finished them.
I usually do not post on Saturday, but I found a fun little craft that I will show you tomorrow. Also, a cleaning tip and something new in my basket of favourite things.

2 comments:

Rachel W. said...

That Graham cracker cake sounds delicious, I can't wait to see a picture of it! We love omlets Darrens family makes them just about the same way you guys do.

Emily said...

It takes approximately 13 minutes per omelet:) Omelets are my new favorite food. Mom, thanks for cooking all the vegetables up on Sunday night so I can just heat them up for omelets every morning! Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...