Thanksgiving is my favourite holiday. I love the anticipation, preparation, socialization...
First of all, here is how I organize.
1. I have a master menu list. It lists everything I take to my in-laws on Thanksgiving day, and everything I make/serve when I redo Thanksgiving Day on the Sunday after Thanksgiving (at our home).
2. My next list lists the dish I prepare, followed by all the ingredients. This makes it easy when I start cooking, and I can be sure I have everything.
3. My third list is my master grocery shopping list. Besides listing what I need (example-11 bananas), I list what they are for (8-2 frozen fruit salads, 3 jello). I do that in case I have a new recipe plan and need more, or am leaving a recipe out this year. I take a copy of my shopping list to the store, as well as a copy of my menu. If I pick something up on sale or already have it, I just cross it off before shopping. It also includes everyone's favourite pies.
4. I have a copy of every recipe that I will or may use. (Also written on the recipe is any other cookbook that it is written in, and who and when I got it.) If I have any recipes that I have found thru the year/season, they are there, too.
5. All of the above are in a page protector, in the back of my main binder cook book. (It is one that I write my recipes in.)
With everything organized, I am ready to go.
One of my favourite recipes is one that that I got from my sister-in-law, Kristin, in 1999.
Don't ignore this recipe just because you don't like cranberries. It is really good. We serve it as a side dish with the turkey, and it is sooo good on the planned-over turkey sandwiches. And, if you have more left, make a jello salad.
This recipe makes a good amount so I always send some home with a sister-in-law.
CRANBERRY SALSA (I make this the day before and chill over night to blend the flavours.)
1 bag of cranberries-washed and chopped small in the food processor
5 apples-UN peeled and finely chopped
1 can crushed pineapple-well drained
1 - 1 1/2 cups sugar
Mix, cover and chill.
This is bright and pretty, also. If you try this, leave a comment and let me know what you think.
3 years ago