Monday, May 3, 2010

10 THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY THIS WEEK!

25 April - 2 May, 2010

"As you create a home, don't get distracted with a lot of things that have no meaning for you or your family. Don't dwell on your failures, but think about your successes. Have joy in your home. Have joy in your children. Have joy in your husband. Be grateful for the journey." Sister Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I did not get my Friday post done last week. It was a very hairy week.
Today, Monday 3 may, is free admission day at the Museum of Natural History on The university of Utah campus. The address is 1390 President's Circle. Parking is free, but you must take the ticket in to be validated and then return it to your car. The Museum is open until 8:oo p.m. The first Monday of every month (year round) is free. The next free day is June 7th.

Also, this is my 75th post:)

#1 Hair bows and headbands and flowers, oh my!
Saturday was Hilary's and Lindsay's first boutique (Wheeler Farm). They were really pleased with the work they did and experience they had. They were so appreciative of friends and family that came to support them. Thank-you.And, they got all their expenses paid for-and a little money. PLUS, they still have lots left for their next boutique. (Yes, they are doing it again.) They are ready to start working again. I am happy when our children are happy.

#2 GUESS WHAT! (rhetorical) I have been putting pictures on BY MYSELF since last Monday. I had Lindsay start teaching me about 4 weeks ago. I wrote down the first 3 steps (click cancel, click start, click my computer). I did that part for about a week. The next week I learned the next 3 steps. Now I did the first 6 steps and Lindsay finished. Doug taught me the last 6 steps and helped me. NOW I CAN DO IT! (I have to use the piece of paper with the 12 steps on it.)

#3 Last week I went I took a new cookie recipe to the women that I visit teach. I took Layne with me. The policeman husband at one friend's house was home. Layne LOVES "Officers". The very kind man showed my grandson his police car. He turned on the lights and showed him the "gun" that records sped, his radio and computer. Layne was impressed and loved the experience. Thank-you.

#4 Sometimes Ann Cannon's column makes me really happy (DR. Pepper one, Family Reunion one) . Sometimes it makes me regular happy. Like Monday's (last week). (Ann Cannon has a column every Monday in THE DESERET NEWS.) In last Monday's column (26 April, 2010) she talked about how she still does things the way she did when all sons were teens living at home with game schedules, car pools... She said that although your life changes, you respond the way you did before. Thus, WAY TOO MUCH MADE FOR DINNER. Time after time after... It is a great column and was so me.
Note- I save magazine and newspaper articles. But I hate papers. Here is how I organize random paper... In a binder I put page protectors labeled with the month and year. (April, 2010) In it I put clippings from magazines/newspapers (no recipes or crafts). Some things might include health info. church news (talks), places to visit... AND ALL RECEIPTS FOR THE MONTH! (I hate going thru those and seeing where money went.) I also go thru the papers the next month and rarely need what I have saved. Gospel ideas are filed... I make a quick list of what is in the page protector and slide it in the front. This works for me and keeps papers out of the way and easy to find. I am sure I will read Ann's column again, when I make way too much dinner.

#5 I am so happy my lilacs are blooming! SO HAPPY. We tried to grow lilacs for over 12 years. About 2-3 years ago Doug moved it to the back yard, and added some other varieties. When Stevie died we bought a lilac tree to mark his grave. They are all healthy and blooming and some have a good amount of flowers. I love lilacs. (And lavender, but that that is another corner of the yard.)
(Journal entry) Stevie was our very sweet pure breed Sheltie dog. (We did not pick the name.) I got a flyer for Stevie at an estate sale. His owner had died. He was 15+ years old. Doug is not a dog person, and I think he said we could adopt this dog because Mark had just left on a 2 year mission with our church. We had Stevie for 2 years. He died about 2 weeks before Mark came home. (I think he tried to wait.) He lost his eye sight and hearing. He became incontinent, and I would have to guess when he had to go and carry him out and in. His last week he just got slower and slept. He would still go to the bathroom each time I took him out. I sat with him for about 3 days and then he just stopped breathing. Thru everything he was always a very sweet dog. I loved him, a lot. I am glad we had him for 2 years. Doug buried him in the back yard, and we planted the lilac tree right by him.

#6 I enjoy MUSIC and the SPOKEN WORD on Sunday morning. It was especially good this week. It was on overcoming hardships and feelings. One thought I really heard was "Refuse to become bitter. Instead become better." When this 2 May, 2010 message is on the website, I will print it and put it in my May file :) Visit http://www.musicandthespokenword.com/ , then click on messages. 11:oo church time makes me happy.

#7 This week I fun trying new breakfast recipes.


#1 The first one that I will make again is from the newest Pillsbury Bake-Off cook book. (I probably have over 150 Pillsbury cook books:( They are on my list to reduce this summer. I made the Blueberry Almond Creme Muffins. Doug would like me to make these again. Am I allowed to post recipes from this printed cook book? I used Razzle Berry jam instead of blueberry. Next time I will add finely chopped almonds (instead of almond extract) in the filling. And I will make them in custard cups instead of muffin cups.) These were good left-over the next day. Cold or warmed.

#2 http://coleensrecipe.blogspot.com/ had a recipe for a Breakfast Brulee'. My family like this. I liked that I got to use my ramekins/custard cups. (Yea, they are dated. But they were only $.50 each. These were easy and fast to make.

Breakfast Brulee'
recipe from http://coleensrecipes.blogspot.com/

1 16 0z. tube of Grands Flaky Biscuits (Pillsbury or similar brand)
2 6 oz. 99% fat-free vanilla yogurt
2 eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/8 tea. grated nutmeg - optional
melted butter
sugar


Mix eggs, cream, yogurt and nutmeg. Set aside.
Spray 8 (6 oz.) ramekins and put on cookie sheet.

Open biscuits and half 4 of them. (8 1/2s) Brush both sides with melted butter and roll in sugar. Lay in the bottom of greased custard cup. Top with 1/4 cup of yogurt mix. Split remaining 4 biscuits and coat with butter and sugar. Place on top of custard filling.

Bake at 375* for 20-26 mins., until top is golden brown. Cool 15 mins.

Serve with jam on the side if desired. (She says these are 350 calories each.)
They were very popular, but not so great the next day. (They tasted dry and bready.) Thank-you, Coleen.

The last new breakfast recipe I made this week is from Clawson Live. She is posted on my side bar. It is for a make-ahead, baked oatmeal.

Baked Oatmeal
recipe from http://clawsonlive.blogspot.com/

1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal - I got mine in bulk at Winco (if you do not want to get steel cut, you can replace with 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal)
1 cup raisins or craisins
1/2 cup almonds or pecans
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1 tea. cinnamon
pinch of salt
milk

Prepare oatmeals as directed. Add everything else to cooked oatmeal. Put into a sprayed 9x13 pan. Cover completely with milk. (I used 1%) Cover pan with foil. Bake at 375* for 30-45 mins. (Until all milk is absorbed.) Cool. Eat now with milk on it, or put in a container in the fridge and just remove what you want for breakfast.
We liked this. It is almost a granola oatmeal. It is very convenient, too. I will try this again with just the oatmeals, brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins. (O.K. Maybe a bit of butter.) It really makes high fibre oatmeal for breakfast easy. Thank-you, Lisa.

We had a fun breakfast week. This week we are doing Mexican.

#8 My sisters, Debbie and Karyn are taking the train to visit ME over Memorial Day. YEA! They will only be here 3 days (and 1 is Sunday), but it will be great.

#9 One of my favourite church sales is next week-end. I love the Wesley Bell Ringer's sale. I have been happy since I found out it was coming.

#10 I HAVE 44 FOLLOWERS. Yea! Welcome new follower... REDD!!! I am so glad to have you.

Today I am drawing a winner for the contents of a "basket of my favourite things". In the basket is a star photo album I made and the embellishments. (Winner chooses boy or girl one. Guess what will be the first thing in my new basket?) Also, a set of scrabble tiles, a small container of small clock hands, travel sizes of Bath and Body Works Sweet Pea shower gel, body lotion and body spray, a red head band with a flower, a package of thank-you notes, a tube of E-6000 adhesive and a SCENTSY bar of Lilacs and Lavender. (If you are unsure what some of these random things are, just check back thru my blog. I am sorry it is not organized, yet. I have not learned that.)

AND THE WINNER (thru Random.org) is...........# 29. Lisa Baity! Thank-you for following, Lisa B. I hope you are a crafter. Get me your address and (your choice of the girl or boy book) I will get this to you. My e-mail is Johnson797@att.net .

I am ready to start my next basket of favourite things. Today. The first thing I will put in is the Star Photo Album that Lisa B. does not pick. I will do a random.org when I have 60 followers. I will add a couple more things to the basket this week :)

I was just getting ready to add pics when I discovered I only took 1. Weird. Sorry. It really was a very hairy week.

2 comments:

Lindsay Quinney said...

Congratulations on 75 posts! And on learning how to finally after 8 months learn how to put your pictures on by yourself. I am one proud daughter! Love you!

Emily said...

When I was reading Ann Cannon's column I was laughing cuz it was totally you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...