Monday, May 10, 2010

10 THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY!

2 May - 9 May, 2010

"I'm behind you and I'm cheering you on." Music and the Spoken Word program #4201

Rough week, but way more than 10 things that made me happy :)

#1 This was Emily's last week off track (very sad:( I am so happy, and really appreciate, that Emily did my morning carpool-twice. Thank-you.

#2 I found a cool old dresser that I have plans for. (It was free.) I am looking forward to sanding and painting and using (oh my).

#3 Cinco de Mayo made me happy. Emily and Lincoln planned a fun taco tasting dinner. (Taco Bell won. You can see the results on the 5 May post.)

#4 Reading makes me happy. I have always loved reading. I had book club at my house this week. I really enjoy book club. I served lunch. (The book I just finished reading is "His Eye is on the Sparrow", an autobiography by Ethel Waters. She was a singer and actress in the early 1900's.)

#5 I knew Friday would make e happy. (And Monday-Thursday as I looked forward to Friday ;) WESLEY BELL RINGERS CHURCH SALE! My favourite.

#6 I have a friend with a short term health problem that I have wanted to help. She called with an errand for me. That made me happy.

#7 I had Paula and Wendy over for an impromptu lunch. It was fun. And we will do it again. Planning menus makes me happy.

#8 I had a fun week trying new recipes. (I tried 8 new ones. The failures were a carrot cake and a salad dressing.) I tried 2 cookie recipes that I really liked. (posted lower in this post)

#9 My kidults got me something I really wanted, for Mother's Day. I got 2 water filter water bottles. (From the Distribution Center) Preparedness is my hobby. Thank-you very much.

#10 Mother's Day. O.K., not the day, but the other part. Being a wife and mother was the life I wanted. Being a mother is full of challenges and trials. (And they start really quick.) We lose sleep. And order/structure.... The list goes on. We worry that we are not doing our best. We hope our children will not remember we were impatient or angry. We hope we are teaching all we want them to know, and be. (And sometimes feel like we lose a little of us.) The hope is that the we can find joy each time we meet a challenge. We seek for patience and strength thru our faith, family and friends.
As I look at where I am now, I have some paydays. I pretty much cause my own tiredness. (I am a night person.) I am rarely the referee. The laundry is under control. (Mine is. They do their own :) They pick up groceries that they pay for. and fix the meal-sometimes. They like me and they like each other and do things together. I like this "stage". But I remember the happy years of lots of little children. They were hard. But I don't remember specifics. I do remember lots and lots of happiness. I am so happy I am a mom. Happy Mother's Day.

The first new recipe that I tried, and we liked, is a cookie based on the "Magic Bar" recipe. This easy, fast and good. I found the recipe at Kara's Kitchen Creations. She calls them "Donna's Heavenly Cookies". I call them

Magic...Cookies- made 5 dozen

MIX

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup flour
2 tea. baking powder

In another bowl, MIX

1/2 cup butter/margarine softened
1 can SWEETENED CONDENSED ILK (not evaporated)
Stir mix 1 (dry) and mix 2 (wet) together. Then stir in

1 1/3 cup coconut
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts - I used walnuts. With cookies I cook 1/2 of the batter with no nuts, and then add nuts to the 2 half.

Make sure everything is well mixed. Drop by spoonfuls on to a sprayed cookie sheet.
Bake @ 350* for 8-10 mins.




I could hardly wait to try this next cookie recipe when I saw it over at Frosted Bake Shop. I made them to go with the strawberry shortcake we had for Mother's Day dinner. (Of course, I changed the name, She calls them "Kookies")

KOOKIE BROWNIE COOKIES -made 5 1/2 dozen

Mix well (I had Doug hand mix it)

1 (dry) dark chocolate cake mix
1 (dry) devil's food cake mix
1 cup flour
4 beaten eggs
1/3 cup water
1 cup oil
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup nuts (I made 1/2 of the cookies and then added the nuts for the 2nd 1/2)

Mix well. Roll into ball (I did about a golf ball size) and put on sprayed cookie sheet. Bake @ 350* for 8 mins. (I did that and they were perfect.)

I really liked these. They tasted like brownie cookies. My family liked them, too. But not as much as me. "They're good.", "They are o.k.", They taste like the homemade "oreos". They were really eating them. I think this is my favourite cookie right now.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Woo Hoo! I made the list twice:) Although you make it sound like one of the top ten is me going back on track:( I'm so bummed to be back! Did I even get a break???

Lindsay Quinney said...

I thought the Kookie's were really good. Actually I thought both cookie recipes were good. I love you mom!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...