Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MY Copy Cat Cafe Rio Salad Recipe

Usually when I get a recipe request I respond to the email. I figure I may as well post it here for you, Melissa.

First of all, this is the pork I use. (From Pam Jensen)
Put in a crockpot (I do it the day before)

3-4 pound pork loin roast or pork loin sirloin roast-bone in or not
Cover 1/2 way with water and cook on high for 6 hours
Cool. Drain. Shred.

Put pork back in the crock pot and add

1 cup brown sugar
1 bottle red taco suace-I use TACO BELL
1 can COKE-not diet
1 table. cumin
Cook on high 3 hours.

YUM! This shredded pork freezes well. Next week I will give you the enchilada recipe that I use with this pork. (Also from Pam.)

Rice that I use
In a sauce pan put

1 cup rice
2 cups chicken broth-canned or dry w/ water
Bring rice to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 20 mins.
Stir in about 2 able. finely chopped cilantro leaves to warm rice (Can squirt some lime juice in if desired. I don't.)
Can be made ahead and reheated.

Now, let's build the salad
1 Did you know you can find the round foil pans pretty cheap? I get mine at the $ store.

2 We buy fresh uncooked tortillas at Sam's Club, Costco or Super Walmarts... You just cook both sides in a dry or sprayed skillet. Put in or on your serving dish.

3 While hot we sprinkle with grated sharp cheddar cheese. (You can put the tortilla w/ cheese in the oven on broil for a minute or two.) I then use about 1/2 cup of cilantro rice and

4 Black beans or Pinto? (!/4 - 1/2 cup)

5 Now you can add your meat, or not.

6 Next layer torn or shredded romain lettuce high.

Done! AT THE SIDE SERVE
guacamole
fresh salsa/pico
parmesean cheese (shaker kind)
lime wedges
thin fried tortilla strips-homemade or pre-packaged
and
THE DRESSING! My recipe is the post just before this one.

Hope you like this. Let me know what you think. I will post the enchilada recipe next week. m.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum...yum.
I will be trying this on Sunday. I am crossing my fingers that it will turn out alright. I LOVE recipes that I can do ahead of time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...