Wednesday, June 23, 2010

10 THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY THIS WEEK!

The Japanese eat little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
The French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.  The Italians drink a lot of red wine and they, too suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
Conclusion: ...Speaking English is apparently what kills you :)

13 June - 20 June, 2010

#1  Lindsay and David have found a house that they are getting ready to buy.  Uncle Michael found the house and helped by giving them an amazing deal.  Thank-you so much, Michael.  Lindsay and David getting a home makes us very happy :D

#2  ...and the yard has a rotten shed.  So when I saw that a local t.v. show ("Good Things UTAH") was having a contest for a new shed from "A-SHED"m I told David.  And Lindsay.  Emily brought Logan over to the house (They were working on the yard) so she gets 2%.  I told Lindsay to put Logan in front of the shed for the picture (Good idea, huh?)  Then I wrote the paragraph that explained why they needed a new shed.  Lindsay and David got it actually entered, so they get 5%.  Hilary watched the show the next day, AND SAW THAT THEY WON A $1200.oo SHED, so she gets 2%.  I get 91% of the new shed credit.  (Plus favourite mother-in-law.)

#3  I got something really special from my Uncle Rob and Aunt Carol this week.  It was a 2 minute DVD.  I LOVED IT!  It was me at about 10 months old.  With my Mom and Dad, my Grandma and Grandpa, my teenage Aunt and Uncle, my cousin (about 16 months old) and her mom and dad (my aunt and uncle.  I crawled and stood and clapped.  It was so fun.  THANK-YOU, THANK-YOU.

#4  I love "TOY STORY 3".  (We went to see it on Saturday)  (I loved "TOY STORY 1" and  "TOY STORY 2", also.)  ***** (5 stars)

#5  Tuesday was Leslie's birthday.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!, my sweet girl.  You are such a happy helper.  I love you.

#6  Tuesday was my father-in-law's birthday,  (Yep.  He and Leslie share a birthday.)  Happy Birthday, Dad.  You and Mom are great examples of grandparenting.  (And parenting).  We love you.

#7  Thank-you so much Michael and Kate for sharing your pool.  (When we swam on Wednesday I got a head injury from the wind storm.  The swim was still worth it.  Way worth it.)
#8  Family California trip plans have started.  We have our reservations for "CLUB 33"(Walt's private club/restaurant).  Thank-you so much, Lincoln's Uncle David.

#9  I had an easy cooking week.  (Thank-you, Dear.)  Not many new recipes tries from my list, since it was a busy week.  I am so grateful for a husband that likes left (planned)-overs.  (If he liked the original;)

#10  Father's Day.  I love my dad.  And miss him, too.  (He died of cancer 22 years ago.this month.)  He was a wonderful dad.  And I was his favourite.  I love my Father-in-law.  He is a great dad, dad-in-law and Grandpa.
And my mother-in-law planned a super Father's Day dinner.  Grilled shrimp (I don't eat shrimp), grilled chicken (I did not eat that either because...) grilled baby back pork ribs (lots and lots.  That is what I ate:)
We all brought the side dishes which were plentiful.  Homemade ice cream and lots of June birthday desserts.
One of the salads that I took is one of my favourite salads.  I could , and sometimes do, eat it frequently.  It's an easy salad and full of variations, and no official title.  I call it...

SPRING STRAWBERRY SALAD
recipe from my mother-in-law - Susanna Johnson

pre-packaged spring salad mix OR variety of lettuce (not iceburg) (I used spinach/romaine mix)
fruit -  pick a couple - chopped strawberries, chopped apples or pears, grapes, craisons, mandarin oranges (canned or fresh)
candied (or not if you run out of time) almonds, walnuts or pecans
thin red onion slices
crumbled bleu cheese (I don't use this very often now.  Lots of people hate it.  And 1 time I ate some, not realizing it was moldy.  The blue/bleu threw me off.)

The nice thing about this salad is that you use what you like.  Just mix everything together with the dressing, just before serving. 

DRESSING
1/2 bottle "BRIANNA'S BLUSH WINE" salad dressing
1/2 bottle "BRIANNA'S POPPY SEED" salad dressing
Just mix together and pour over salad.

HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY SPINACH DRESSING
adapted from http://kitchenscoop.com and Jeanne Jones' "COOK IT LIGHT" column

1/4 cup white vinegar OR 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1/3 - 1/2 cup honey
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. dry mustard
2 teas. dry minced onions OR 1-2 table. chopped onion (I use purple)
1/2 cup canola oil
1 table. poppy seeds
4-8 strawberries

In the blender mix, honey, vinegar, salt, mustard and onions.  Drizzle oil in the top as blender is running.  Add poppy seeds and strawberries just until blended.

SPINACH SALAD
recipe from Susanna Johnson

spinach or spinach/romaine mix
16 oz. cottage cheese- drained (rinse if necessary so you only have the curds)
cooked crumbled bacon
grated Swiss cheese
sliced mushrooms

Mix together just before serving.  Use the same dressing.  The "BRIANNA'S" mix or something similar. 
Neither of these salads work as left-overs.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so hecka sad I missed Father's Day! But thanks so much for making me a plate and bringing it to me!!!

Emily said...

I am sitting here in my classroom and I hear "OOOH WHAT IS YOUR MOM POSTING??? WHAT IS THAT A PICTURE OF???" I told her it was a cut on your head and she is freaking out and I am laughing so hecka hard!!!

Lindsay Quinney said...

That quote is hilarious! I am so happy we are buying a home too and I am so so happy we won a shed!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...