Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A "CRUMBY" DESSERT

"People first.  Then money, THEN things."  Suzi Orman
20 March, 2012

I got this dessert recipe in November, 1982.  (It was brought over when I had my third child.)  I made it for about 12 years... and then stopped.  I kept the recipe, and moved it from recipe system to recipe system.  But I never made it.  That is because it calls for 2 raw eggs.  My kidults and a few friends requested it but...
After another request I decided to adapt it, and it worked great!

SUBSTITUTE FOR 2 RAW EGGS
(I found several, but this was cheap and easy)

In a bowl put
4 egg whites
Sprinkle over the top with
2 table. non fat dry milk

Beat with a fork until very mixed.
Stir in a drop of
yellow food colouring
Makes about 1/2 cup.  1/2 cup equals 2 eggs.

DONE!

A CRUMBY PEACH DESSERT  (Yep, there IS a story behind the recipe name)

1 lb. vanilla sandwich cookies - finely crushed
2 table. melted butter

substitute mix to equal 2 eggs (1/2 cup)
1 cube softened butter
2 cups powdered sugar

1 cup whipped cream - unsweetened

30 oz. can of peach slices (or more) OR fresh peach slices (or even berries)

Mix melted butter into cookie crumbs with a fork.  (This is not a lot of butter so just fork mix it.)
Press a bit more than 1/2 the cookie crumbs into (about) a 9x9 dish.

Mix 1/2 cup egg substitute mix, powdered sugar and softened butter til smooth.
Carefully spread over cookie crust.
Top with lots of peach slices (Cover the cream layer, and then cover it again.  There is not enough fruit in the picture below.)  I usually use canned (or berries) because they work better.

Spread the unsweetened whipped cream over the fruit.
Top with the rest of your cookie crumbs (and press down lightly).
Chill at least 4 hours.  (I like it the day it is made.  Some people like it better the next day.)

I have a great peach chicken (and stuffing balls)  that goes well with this dessert.
Let me know what you think if you try this.


                                               

2 comments:

Emily said...

This has always been one of my favorite desserts! I was so hecka excited to hear you were making it! It was delicious as ever and I enjoyed the leftovers! The "crumby" part comes from me. When I was sit ten my mom made it for us. After dinner we were cleaning the kitchen together. I was sweeping and commented on what a crummy dinner it was. My mom started lecturing me on how hard she'd worked on it and how we'd all eaten it with no complaints. I was crying at this point (I cry extremely easy) and said, "I just meant there were lots of crumbs!" Apparently crummy and crumby sound the same:)

Emily said...

*about ten. Not sit ten. Autocorrect...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...