Monday, March 12, 2012

CORN BREAD

I love corn bread, which can be a bad thing.  I keep finding cornbread recipes to try.  I tried 2 new ones this week... and made my old favourite for company on Sunday :) 
I have had several requests for my recipe, so am sharing it.

MY FAVOURITE CORN BREAD
makes a 9x13 pan

1 yellow cake mix (make according to package directions)

2 cups cornmeal
1-2 tea. salt
2 table. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup melted butter or margarine (cooled)
2 eggs
2 cups milk

(Make cake mix as directed.)
Mix dry ingredients and set aside. (cornmeal, salt, soda, powder, sugar)
Mix melted (cooled) butter with eggs and milk. 
Fold butter mix into prepared cake mix. 
Carefully fold in dry ingredients.

Bake in a sprayed 9x13 pan at
375* for 20-25 mins. THEN LOWER HEAT AND COOK AT
350* for 5-10 mins.

My favourite cornbread with
sweet honey butter :)
I tried 2 other cornbread recipes this week.  One had great flavour and moistness, but was quite crumbly.
The other one called for brown butter and sour cream.  (I had high hopes for this one as I LOVE browned butter.)  There was no hint of browned butter and it was d r y.  BUT, it was baked in a preheated cast iron skillet.  I will do that again with my basic (read "tried and true") cornbread. 

Basic (traditional) Cornbread
from Susan Kennard (about 1983)

Mix until just barely mixed
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tea. baking soda
1 tea. salt
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk

Pour into a sprayed 9"x9" pan (about) and bake at 425* for 20-25 mins.
           OR
Rub about 1/2-1 teas. vegetable oil in your cast iron skillet (about 7-8 in.).  Pre-heat skillet as you make cornbread.  Pour cornbread into hot skillet and bake at 425* for 18-25 mins.
Cool completely and cut into wedges.


One of my goals for March?  TRY NO NEW CORNBREADS!  (And enjoy the ones I have.)

2 comments:

Lindsay Quinney said...

I love cornbread too, but I really mostly like basic out of the box stuff. I did think your "tried and true" recipe was good though.

Emily said...

I'm not a huge corn bread fan but I love yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...