Monday, November 7, 2011

Caesar Salad With Homemade Croutons

I have been making these croutons (with a few minor changes) since the summer of 1992.  When I make my own I can use the left over french bread, plus I hate 1/2 a box of anything hidden in the pantry.
This recipe is fast, easy and uses what you have in the house.

HOMEMADE CROUTONS 

#1  In a big microwave bowl/dish, melt
1/4 cup BUTTER

#2  Toss in
About 8 slices of bread - cubed  (I use french bread cut into 1 inch slices and then cubed into 6-8 pieces.
Left over bread works great.)

#3  I sprinkle 2-4 table. of OUR BEST BITES  "Garlic Bread Seasoning" ( I told you we use it a lot.  You can use herbs of your choice.) and toss until the bread cubes are coated with the butter and the seasoning.
OUR BEST BITES
Garlic Bread Seasoning
(This recipe is in their cookbook.)

bread cubes tossed w/melted butter & seasoning
in a microwaveable dish
#4  Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-6 mins.  (You can stir it once if you want, but then I need to cook a bit longer.  Mine usually take 5-6 mins.)  They will be crisp when they are done.
2 loafs of french bread made 4 batches
and a very full 9x13 pan
#5  Let cool.  Serve or store.
Pretty easy, huh?  My family loves these.  We use them to top salads and soups. 

I use Romaine lettuce, Caesar Salad dressing, grated Parmesan cheese and croutons for a fast and easy salad.  I prepare the lettuce ahead of time because I want it really dry.  (Most of the time we use a spinner.) 
Remember to not dress and toss the salad until just before serving.  And... the lettuce will reduce to about 1/2 the amount that was in the bowl.  (I use a purchased dressing most of the time.)
Easy salad.  Great reviews. 

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm not a huge crouton person and I can't get enough of these. I could eat them plain all day long.

Lindsay Quinney said...

I absolutely LOVE your homemade croutons!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...